Thursday, March 6th, 2008
By William Kincaid
New Bremen board nixes state funds now for construction
NEW BREMEN - School officials will not pursue a renovation or construction project in 2009, as board of education members on Wednesday night agreed to defer any offer of state funding this year.
The Ohio School Facilities Commission (OSFC) has not officially notified New Bremen of its eligibility for state money for a building project, but board members are anticipating the call this spring. Treasurer Deb Meyer said school officials were told to go ahead and defer any funding before the official call, if they are sure they don't want the money at this time.
Board members said they want more time to secure operating money and to gather community input.
However, board members said they may consider a school project in the next coming year or so.
Board member Larry Tangeman said public input is vital to any project.
Currently, OSFC is calculating the school's 10-year future enrollment, which determines how much money OSFC will commit. They also are reviewing assessments of New Bremen's facilities, as well as starting a preliminary master plan to determine possible project costs.
"I think you are slightly decreasing at this point," John Freytag of Freytag & Associates told board members about the school's declining enrollment, which would adversely affect funding. "It's critical. It all starts with enrollment."
But Freytag said if school officials would initiate an open enrollment policy - which board members discussed earlier in the evening - it could help the school.
"That is another impact you might want to consider," he said.
Freytag said New Bremen and other Ohio schools were caught off guard with their quick ascent up the OSFC's funding list and are not ready to take any state money. OSFC is trying to quickly spend $4.1 billion of the state's tobacco settlement in the next few years.
Freytag said deferring the money means the school district will keep its equity ranking and its funding position will remain the same for another year, when school officials can reconsider any possible project.
He also said OSFC officials will continue working on a master plan for the school, even though they deferred funding for a year.
Superintendent Ann Harvey, though, told board members they cannot wait indefinitely, as their rank and OSFC funding could change in a few years.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Auglaize commissioners look back on 2007
• Man shouts profanities while led from court
• Proposal for plumbers to work with Miami County inspectors on hold
• Tigers ready to face perennial power Regina, star Selby
• Luthman knows Royals, Tigers well
• Raterman, Selby played AAU together