Wednesday, May 9th, 2012
By Amy Kronenberger
Parkway school to establish wrestling club
ROCKFORD - Parkway High School has started a boys wrestling club, hoping to have a varsity sport in three years.
High school business teacher Kevin Browning has been working with athletic director Doug Hughes to develop the club and find a location for practices.
"As a club, students would pay to play," Browning told board members during their Tuesday meeting. "Part of their dues would go to membership into the U.S. Wrestling Association to cover liability insurance."
Browning said he's already spoken with interested students.
"They know this is competitive olympic-style wrestling and not the WWE," he said. "I was hoping for five students; I was praying for 10 students, and 40 kids showed up for the first meeting."
Thirty returned membership paperwork, and 28 are committed to practices this summer.
Browning said all expenses will be funded through dues and fundraisers. They already have purchased used mats from Celina City Schools.
"It's that perfect color green that I love ... but somehow, we'll get them black and gold," he said.
The club is selling beef sticks to raise money for head gear for the wrestlers.
"By the end of the three-year club process, we hope to make this a varsity sport," Browning said.
Anyone interested in donating to the club can contact the school.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Fort Recovery teachers to see more in paychecks
• Board questions teacher hiring process
• Retiree's job to go unfilled due to finances
• Behind every good doctor ...
• Village may eliminate some parking
• Celina company nabs bridge contract
• Fort board OKs school renovation funds
• Intervention specialists explain K-12 program
• Car dealer returns to hometown
• Minster, Versailles have early team leads
• Fent allows just one hit in Parkway's tight victory
• Cavs rally for victory with three-run seventh
• Cardinals slip past Indians
Saturday, August 1
Saturday, August 1
Sunday, July 26