|06-17-03: Woman sets self on fire in bed
|Cigarette ignites wastebasket trash, then catches bed on fire
By MARGIE WUEBKER
The Daily Standard
A Celina-area woman remains in serious condition at Miami Valley
Hospital, Dayton, where she was taken following a weekend fire at her home.
Belle Martin, 3675 Carmel Church Road, is undergoing treatment in the
burn unit, according to a hospital spokesman.
Danny Martin, who also resides at the residence, reportedly was
awakened around 11 p.m. Friday by his mother's screams.
The elderly woman, who requires oxygen, told authorities she had been
smoking in bed. A cigarette butt apparently dropped into a nearby wastebasket igniting the
contents. Flames then spread to her hospital bed and nightclothes.
The 51-year-old son doused the flames with a garden hose, according to
Celina Fire Department reports. He then called 911 to report the fire that had been
extinguished and to summon help.
Celina Fire Department responded to the scene with one truck, one
firefighter and a fully staffed ambulance.
Belle Martin, whose age is unknown, was taken to Community Hospital in
Coldwater, where she was treated in the emergency room. She later was transferred by
ambulance to Miami Valley.
Fire chief Doug Kuhn said the fire was contained to the downstairs
bedroom of the home which is owned by Jodon LLC, a Celina partnership. Damage is estimated
The Mercer County Sheriff's Office, the Celina Police Department and
the fire department responded to the same location late Sunday night on reports of a man
The male resident told a 911 dispatcher he had seen his mother burning
to death. He was taken by ambulance to Community Hospital and later transported to Van
Wert County Hospital for a mental evaluation.
- Scheduled the next meeting for July 14 at 7:30 p.m. in the board room
at the elementary school.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE DAILY STANDARD
(419)586-2371, Fax: (419)586-6271
All content copyright 2003
The Standard Printing
P.O. Box 140, Celina, OH