07-26-03: At Auglaize County Fair,
steers will get new home and partiers will go to pit | AUGLAIZE
|By LANCE MIHM
The Daily Standard
WAPAKONETA - Fair planners are hoping for good weather for the 151st
Auglaize County Fair, which runs Monday through Saturday at the fairgrounds.
"If the weather stays like it is, in the 80s, it will be an
extremely good fair," Auglaize County fair board member Fred Piehl said. "Season
passes are selling well, and there is a lot of enthusiasm out there."
Fairgoers can see the new cattle barn that was just completed Thursday,
In past years tents were put up for the cattle because there was not
enough room in the barns. The new 60-by-100-foot barn should solve that problem.
The $50,000 barn was funded with money raised by the Auglaize County
Cattlemen's Association. There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new barn at 8
A new event will be the Party in the Pits at 7 p.m. Friday, with music
by classic rock-country groups Mustang Sally and The Earthquakers. The event takes the
place of a third night of harness racing .
"We had been receiving a tremendous amount of calls for
entertainment on the weekend from the public," Piehl said. "We had a lot of good
sponsors line up, and we think it will be a big success."
Piehl added there still will be two nights of harness racing available.
The fair board also has organized a new cheerleading competition, which
is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Monday.
Piehl said the board got the idea for the event after his daughter had
suggested it to him. Nine different cheerleading teams from Allen, Auglaize and Hardin
counties are competing.
Monday is free admission day.
Tuesday will be Senior Citizen Day with lots of entertainment, harness
racing and horseshoe tournaments, Wednesday is Homemaker's Day with cooking demonstrations
and genealogy talks and Thursday is family day with a karaoke contest, demolition derby
Friday is Veteran's Day with a special program honoring veterans, and
Saturday there will be moto-cross racing and lots of entertainment for thefinal day of the
AUGLAIZE FAIR NOTES
Monday is free admission day at the Auglaize County Fair in Wapakoneta. The
opening day fair ribbon cutting will be held at the front gate at noon.
Other events include:
- 8:30 a.m. - Junior fair goat showmanship and show in show barn
- 10 a.m. - Open horticulture show in horticulture building
- 10 a.m. - 4-H style review in junior fair building
- 11 a.m. - master gardener's clinic in horticulture building
- 1 p.m. - Open beef breeding show, junior fair beef carcass show,
cattleman's born and raised steer show, open steer and feeder calf show, all in the show
- 1:30 p.m. - 4-H style review in the junior fair building
- 4 p.m. - Auglaize County born and raised barrow show in the show barn
- 6 p.m. - Baked goods auction in the entertainment tent
- 7:30 p.m. - Junior fair king and queen coronation
- 7:30 p.m. - Them Bowmans and Rev. Ron and Vicky Boyer in the gospel
- 7:30 p.m. - Cheerleading competition and fireworks
SUBSCRIBE TO THE DAILY STANDARD
(419)586-2371, Fax: (419)586-6271
All content copyright 2003
The Standard Printing
P.O. Box 140, Celina, OH