By Margie Wuebker
The November death of a Logan County teenager at a relative's Coldwater home has been ruled a case of accidental drug overdose.
Christopher James Lee Davis, 16, of Bellefontaine, was found dead Nov. 28 in a bedroom at the home of Shirley Harrod, 108 First Ave.
"It appears he helped himself to someone else's prescription medication," Coldwater Police Chief Gery Thobe said.
Toxicology tests pinpointed the medication as the painkiller Darvon, according to Thobe. No charges are expected in the case.
A Coldwater unit of Mercer County Emergency Services rushed to the Northview Trailer Court location in response to an early morning 911 call. John Parsons reportedly told a dispatcher the youth had "overdosed on pills" and was not breathing. People at the scene initiated CPR but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful. Davis, his mother Sandra Lynn Huddlestun and Parsons, a family friend, were visitors at the Harrod home, according to police reports.
The body was transported to Mercer County Community Hospital in Coldwater at the request of Mercer County Coroner Dr. Timothy Heinrichs who ordered an autopsy.
The youth was a senior at Benjamin Logan High School, a volunteer at Zane Shawnee Caverns and Campground and a member of the Shawnee Nation United Remnant Band.