Today's Pictures
Classified Ads
 Announce Births
Email Us
Buy A Copy
Local Links

Issue Index

03-18-06 Fort Recovery school to give diplomas to veterans

By William Kincaid

  FORT RECOVERY -- Veterans who left high school prior to graduation to serve in the armed forces now can receive a high school diploma at Fort Recovery.

  The board of education this week approved expanding an existing policy -- which granted high school diplomas to those who served in WWII -- to veterans of the Korean Conflict and Vietnam War.

  According to the policy, the board may award a high school diploma to any Ohio veteran or any living relative of a deceased Ohio veteran who meets all of the following state requirements:

   The veteran left a public or nonpublic Ohio school prior to graduation in order to serve in the U.S. armed forces.

   The veteran received an honorable discharge from the armed forces.   The veteran has not been granted a diploma, a honors diploma, a diploma of adult education or a diploma from any other school.

  The veteran in question is not required to take the GED or any graduation test in order to qualify for the diploma. Upon verification that all requirements have been met, the application is forwarded to the board and a diploma may be awarded.

  Superintendent David Riel told The Daily Standard that although no veteran has applied for the diploma since his arrival, one woman has requested it for her deceased husband, who served in Vietnam.

  In other news, high school Principal Ed Snyder reviewed a list of requirements needed for graduating seniors to receive a diploma with honors. For a student enrolled in a college preparatory education, he or she must meet eight of the nine following criteria to get a honor's diploma:

   Maintain an overall high school grade point average of at least a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale up to the last grading period the senior year.

   Obtain a composite score of 27 on the American College Testing (ACT) or an equivalent composite score of 1210 on the Scholastic Achievement Test (SAT).

   Complete four units of English; three units of mathematics that shall include algebra I, algebra II and geometry or complete a three-year sequence of courses that contains equivalent content; three units of science that develop concepts for physical, life and earth and space sciences; three units of social studies; either three units of one foreign language or two units each of two foreign languages; one unit of fine arts; and three additional units in any of the above, which could also include a unit of business or technology.


Phone: (419)586-2371,   Fax: (419)586-6271
All content copyright 2006
The Standard Printing Company
P.O. Box 140, Celina, OH 45822