Today's Pictures
Classified Ads
 Announce Births
Email Us
Buy A Copy
Local Links

Issue Index

09-07-06 Woman’s death under investigation

By Laura Walker

  The cause of Celina native Kathleen Wangler's death is under investigation by the Allen County Sheriff and Coroner's Office and answers may not be known for weeks.

  On the morning of Sept. 4 Wangler's husband, Dr. Mark Wangler, woke to the sound of the carbon monoxide detector, according to Major Sam Crish of the Allen County Sheriff's office. Wangler went to check on his wife, who was in a different part of the house, and found her unresponsive and called 911, according to Crish. The 911 call came in at 5:18 a.m.

  Bath Township Fire Department responded to the call and transported her to Lima Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

  Allen County Coroner Dr. Gary Beasley requested an autopsy, including toxicology tests. He said this is routine. She was a young lady not under care of a physician, so a full autopsy report is best to make sure all bases are covered, he said.

  Beasley said he cannot make a decision on the manner and cause of death until he has all of the data. He said it appears to be a case of acute carbon monoxide poisoning, but is still under investigation.  A final ruling may take up to 12 weeks, because Lucas County must finish the toxicology report. This report and any other information Beasley finds will be added to the sheriff's investigation.

  The couple's home at 860 Yorkshire Lot Drive, Lima, was voluntarily evacuated for the investigation, Crish said. The initial investigation did not lead to any foul play, and to Crish's knowledge, no domestic calls or reports have been made from this residence. Investigators are looking at possible carbon monoxide poisoning, but noted they did not find any faulty appliances at the residence.

  Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.

  Sources of carbon monoxide in a home can be unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, leaking chimneys and furnaces, back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, fireplaces, gas stoves, generators and other gasoline-powered equipment, automobile exhaust in attached garages and tobacco smoke.

  A full obituary appears on page 5A.


Phone: (419)586-2371,   Fax: (419)586-6271
All content copyright 2006
The Standard Printing Company
P.O. Box 140, Celina, OH 45822