a_d
Saturday Night
51°
Chance Thunderstorms
51%
Sunday
82°
Chance Thunderstorms
32%
Sunday Night
58°
Rain Showers
87%
Monday
63°
Chance Thunderstorms
44%
Monday Night
45°
Mostly Cloudy
19%
Tuesday
59°
Breezy
14%
Tuesday Night
41°
Mostly Cloudy
16%
Wednesday
59°
Chance Rain Showers
29%
Wednesday Night
48°
Rain Showers Likely
70%
Thursday
56°
Chance Rain Showers
61%
Thursday Night
41°
Cloudy
31%
3 Day
Extended
a_d
a_d
Thursday, September 7th, 2006

Woman's death under investigation

By Laura Walker
The cause of Celina native Kathleen Wangler's death is under investigation by the Allen County Sheriff and Coroner's Office and answers may not be known for weeks.
On the morning of Sept. 4 Wangler's husband, Dr. Mark Wangler, woke to the sound of the carbon monoxide detector, according to Major Sam Crish of the Allen County Sheriff's office. Wangler went to check on his wife, who was in a different part of the house, and found her unresponsive and called 911, according to Crish. The 911 call came in at 5:18 a.m.
Bath Township Fire Department responded to the call and transported her to Lima Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Allen County Coroner Dr. Gary Beasley requested an autopsy, including toxicology tests. He said this is routine. She was a young lady not under care of a physician, so a full autopsy report is best to make sure all bases are covered, he said.
Beasley said he cannot make a decision on the manner and cause of death until he has all of the data. He said it appears to be a case of acute carbon monoxide poisoning, but is still under investigation.
A final ruling may take up to 12 weeks, because Lucas County must finish the toxicology report. This report and any other information Beasley finds will be added to the sheriff's investigation.
The couple's home at 860 Yorkshire Lot Drive, Lima, was voluntarily evacuated for the investigation, Crish said. The initial investigation did not lead to any foul play, and to Crish's knowledge, no domestic calls or reports have been made from this residence. Investigators are looking at possible carbon monoxide poisoning, but noted they did not find any faulty appliances at the residence.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.
Sources of carbon monoxide in a home can be unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, leaking chimneys and furnaces, back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, fireplaces, gas stoves, generators and other gasoline-powered equipment, automobile exhaust in attached garages and tobacco smoke.
A full obituary appears on page 5A.
a_d
Additional online stories on this date
A Mercer County farm owner will be fined for building a manure storage/cattle feeding barn on his property and having 200 more cattle than allowed, without first getting Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) permits. [More]
The Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) is awaiting the results of water tests before it can determine whether a layer hen farm in Darke County is exempt from a manure pollution violation. [More]
Subscriber only stories on this date
New property code adopted in Mercer County
Rezoning OKed for purchased land
Members choose new officers
Big art flavors small town
Stewart climbs his own fence
Struggling offenses will square off in Celina on Friday
Flyers, Redskins set for annual showdown
Fort Recovery vs. Minster
New Bremen vs. Coldwater
St. John's vs. Parkway
St. Marys vs. Defiance
Versailles vs. Anna
Area leaders start next week
a_d