a_d
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009
By William Kincaid
Celina school project nixed
  The poor economy has led Celina City School officials to scrap plans for a school construction project anytime soon.
During a school board meeting Monday night, Superintendent Matt Miller said it may be difficult to justify the need for new or renovated school facilities with the many layoffs in the area.
"The need is there. The timing's not right," Miller said.
Miller, with the approval of board members, will defer an offer to come this spring for funding from the Ohio School Facilities Commission (OSFC) for a school construction project. This is the second time the school is deferring state money; the first time was in September.
"That's not a decision I want to make on my own," Miller told board members about rejecting the money at this time.
"I'm definitely in favor of deferring," board member Matt Gilmore said.
Other board members also supported the decision.
Miller said state officials are committed to keeping the OSFC money intact for the next few years even as Gov. Ted Strickland prepares to announce major budget cuts across the board.
When asked how many times Celina can defer OSFC funding, Miller replied that school officials will have wiggle room.
Miller and board members on Monday night also canceled the second community engagement meeting scheduled for Jan. 26 to further discuss a school renovation or construction project.
The unofficial word from OSFC was that the state would have funded 44 percent of a school construction/renovation project, leaving taxpayers to fund 56 percent.
Miller said he thinks school officials would have a hard time getting a tax levy passed at the polls due to the economy.
Additional online stories for this date
Print and E-Edition only stories for this date
• Triathlons to make local comeback
• Parkway school board places 1.5-mill levy renewal on primary election ballot
• Charges pending against two in home break-in
• Sediment trap built, levy blowout fixed
• Health department staff granted 3 percent raise
• Curriculum goals outlined through 2014
a_d
Saturday Night
54°
Partly Cloudy
1%
Sunday
80°
Partly Sunny
9%
Sunday Night
62°
Chance Thunderstorms
55%
Monday
70°
Rain Showers Likely
58%
Monday Night
49°
Mostly Clear
10%
Tuesday
66°
Mostly Sunny
7%
Tuesday Night
49°
Partly Cloudy
11%
Wednesday
65°
Mostly Cloudy
18%
Wednesday Night
49°
Partly Cloudy
3%
Thursday
70°
Mostly Sunny
3%
Thursday Night
51°
Mostly Clear
7%
3 Day
Extended
a_d
a_da_da_d
camera_logo Photo Albums
Friday, September 23
index pict
Friday, September 23
index pict
Friday, September 23
index pict
Thursday, September 22
index pict
Thursday, September 22
index pict
video_logoOnline Video
Thursday, September 8
index pict
Update on human remains found near Grand Lake
Thursday, September 8
index pict
Update on human remains found near Grand Lake - Full Press Conference