Tuesday, February 17th, 2009
By Margie Wuebker
Injured man suspected in series of vehicle break-ins
The Mercer County Sheriff's Office is investigating the theft of a 2000 Ford Windstar van from a Rockford-area home early this morning.
Deputies were called to a home in the 4700 block of state Route 707 after the resident reported a young man came to her door asking to use the telephone. He reportedly had a lacerated wrist with blood dripping onto the porch floor.
The unidentified woman closed the door and alerted authorities. The man apparently left before deputies and medics arrived on the scene.
The man, described as tall and thin, left the porch and traveled down the road, where he took a van belonging to Gary Beougher, 4700 state Route 707, Rockford. The keys had been left in the unlocked vehicle.
Deputies are investigating the possibility the culprit's injury may be linked to a string of vehicle break-ins in the area.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• District could receive $1.7 million in additional revenue
• Japanese seem to be saying sayonara to Celina
• Grants help maintain trail and prevent litter
• Suspects arrested in Arcanum robbery
• Fatigue sets in for the Redskins
• Rangers, Tigers to meet in the finals