Wednesday, April 29th, 2009
By Margie Wuebker
Maria Stein student places third in finals
Natalie Rethman, a second-grader at Marion Local Schools, finished third in her age group in the national finals of the Elks USA Hoop Shoot competition. The event took place Saturday in Springfield, Mass.
Nine-year-old Rethman initially tied for second forcing a shootoff. She sank four out of the five additional shots, but the other contestant successfully downed all five.
The field included 12 regional winners from throughout the U.S., who like Rethman survived local, county and district competitions sponsored by the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Rethman and her family enjoyed an all-expense-paid trip to Massachusetts along with a visit to the National Basketball Hall of Fame and other landmarks. In addition to receiving awards and other memorabilia, she had an opportunity to spend time at the hotel pool.
"Natalie had a great time," her mother said.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Sentence is called 'cruel and unusual'
• Mercer County MR/DD seeking renewal levy
• Hours reduced for social worker
• Celina project funds OK'd
• Apria Healthcare cuts 51 Minster jobs
• Pair tries to beat the system
• RV supply center will move to only Web sales
• Area couple opens up sewing opportunities
• Ultimate Fighting Championship style fighters learn the ropes
• Bulldogs dominate in sweeping WBL trimeet