Friday Night
65°
Mostly Clear
3%
Saturday
90°
Sunny
Saturday Night
62°
Clear
Sunday
88°
Sunny
Sunday Night
62°
Mostly Clear
Monday
88°
Mostly Sunny
Monday Night
64°
Mostly Clear
Tuesday
86°
Mostly Sunny
Tuesday Night
64°
Partly Cloudy
4%
Wednesday
80°
Slight Chance Thunderstorms
29%
Wednesday Night
55°
Partly Cloudy
10%
3 Day
Extended
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010

Water line mix-up may be related to recent sickness

By Shelley Grieshop
ST. MARYS - A recent water line problem in the Villa Nova/Sandy Beach area may have caused at least two people to become sick after exposure to Grand Lake water, officials said.
Three people reportedly were treated at a local hospital this weekend for minor gastrointestinal infections following the intrusion of lake water into the city of St. Marys' water line along the northeast side of Grand Lake. Officials confirmed one of the illnesses was not related to the lake but suspect the remaining cases are linked.
A "boil water advisory" was issued about noon Saturday in the Villa Nova/Sandy Beach area after a water main broke near Jack Oak Point where fire crews were battling a structure fire. Firefighters began using lake water to extinguish the fire without immediately realizing it was flowing for a brief time into the city's water line, according to EMA and St. Marys city officials.
Auglaize County Environmental Health Director Curt Anderson told board members Tuesday that some residents "were pulling lake water through their shower heads" and other faucets in their homes.
Residents in about 700 homes were instructed to boil their water before use, dump all water and ice that had been collected, flush water lines and hot water heaters and thoroughly clean equipment such as ice makers.
The advisory was lifted Monday after EPA officials reviewed the results of water quality tests.
County health commissioner Charlotte Parsons said past problems with the lake's water quality made the situation worse.
"Of course the worry was with the toxins," she said.
Toxic blue-green algae blooms found in the lake earlier this summer led to the posting of advisories warning people and animals to have no contact with the water. Those advisories recently were lifted after tests showed safe levels had returned.
Additional online stories on this date
Auglaize County health officials continue to monitor the spread of a stomach virus circulating in the Grand Lake area.
"We've seen a lot of vomiting and diarrhea," county medical director Dr. Juan Torres told board members Tuesday morning. [More]
NEW BREMEN - Local residents may pay more for water next year as a result of action taken by village council members Tuesday night.
Council members heard first reading of an ordinance increasing rates by 15 percent. [More]
Subscriber only stories on this date
Boy Scouts assist city with EPA requirement
Celina not only town in line for solar plant
State begins study of fish in lake
Company seeks land to lease from city
BOE plans to hire new superintendent by March 1
Commissioners designate road in Mercer County
Couple injured in crash
Chief remodels to offer more
Crowell and Bates give Panthers lethal lefty-righty combo
Tough schedule has Parkway prepared