Thursday, May 12th, 2011
By Shelley Grieshop
Officer cleared in fatal shooting
  ST. MARYS - The sheriff's deputy who shot and killed a former St. Marys police officer in January has been cleared of any wrongdoing.
Auglaize County Sheriff's Deputy Sgt. Brian Little - who has been on paid administrative leave since the fatal shooting of Dennis Slone - will now return to work following completion of an investigation by the Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification, the Ohio Attorney General's Office and the Wood County Sheriff's Office.
Following a slow speed pursuit through St. Marys on Jan. 28, Little fatally shot Slone, 42, of Waynesfield, after he exited his SUV at a Marathon gas station in St. Marys and confronted officers with a handgun.
Little reportedly fired three bullets at Slone from a Glock 40-caliber semi-automatic gun. No one else - including Slone - fired a weapon during the confrontation, officials have said.
Slone was treated at the scene before being taken by squad to Joint Township District Memorial Hospital in St. Marys, where he was pronounced dead.
Local officials said Slone previously had exhibited emotional problems. Sheriff Al Solomon said several times in recent years his agency had investigated incidents involving Slone but declined to elaborate on the nature of the calls.
Slone, who was married and had a daughter, served as a St. Marys police officer from November 1995 until February 1997, when his employment was terminated after failing to successfully complete a probationary period.
St. Marys Police Chief Greg Foxhoven said on the day of the shooting, Slone told several officers he was going to St. Marys "to die there."
"He made his intentions very clear," he said.
Little, a 7-year veteran of the sheriff's department and a former Cincinnati police officer, was the closest officer to Slone when he exited the vehicle, said Foxhoven, who witnessed the shooting.
He was not surprised that Little was exonerated.
"All of us were convinced from day one that Sgt. Little would be cleared of all wrongdoing," Foxhoven said.
Sheriff Al Solomon said he's happy to close the case.
"I am very pleased that Sgt. Little has been cleared of any wrongdoing and will be returning to active duty," he said. "It is always a terrible tragedy for the loved ones of the deceased and also for the deputy and officers and their family and friends when the line of duty places a law enforcement officer in harm's way and results in the taking of a human life."
Solomon added he hopes everyone involved in the incident can now have closure.
The case also had been presented to the Auglaize County grand jury and an indictment was not issued.
Additional online stories for this date
Print and E-Edition only stories for this date
• Arrested trio suspects in car break-ins
• Scholarships would assist students paying tuition at nonpublic schools
• Phone system at jail to receive upgrade
• City to reimburse electric fund $48,000
• Man pleads guilty to tampering with evidence
• Celina grads compete on reality series 'Expedition Impossible'
• St. Marys, Celina look strong after first day
• Bulldogs now shift focus to the WBL
• Snyder's home run lifts Parkway to sectional title
• Cardinals score game-winner in eighth
• Roughriders knocked out by Redskins
Chance Thunderstorms
Friday Night
Chance Thunderstorms
Chance Thunderstorms
Saturday Night
Chance Thunderstorms
Slight Chance Thunderstorms
Sunday Night
Partly Cloudy
Mostly Sunny
Monday Night
Mostly Clear
Partly Sunny
Tuesday Night
Chance Thunderstorms
3 Day
video_logoOnline Video
Tuesday, July 26
index pict
Boat fire on Grand Lake
Saturday, July 23
index pict
Celina Lake Festival Parade time-lapse
camera_logo Photo Albums
Saturday, July 23
index pict
Saturday, July 23
index pict
Friday, July 22
index pict