Wednesday, July 6th, 2011
By Margie Wuebker
Man arrested for aggravated menacing
A 46-year-old Celina man faces misdemeanor charges of aggravated menacing and inducing panic after he allegedly fired shots at golfers at an area course Tuesday afternoon.
Randy J. Sutter, 7449 Staeger Road, was taken into custody shortly after 3 p.m. when Mercer County Sheriff's deputies and Celina Police responded to Fox's Den Golf Course in the 1200 block of Irmscher Boulevard.
A 911 dispatcher received two calls in a span of several minutes from golfers reporting someone was firing a rifle or shotgun in their direction.
Authorities located Sutter in his back yard, which overlooks the 15th hole at the golf course. They also seized a 22-caliber rifle.
The man initially denied shooting toward the golf course, but Sheriff Jeff Grey said the subsequent investigation and seizure of evidence refuted his statements.
The sheriff's report lists the names of four victims, none of whom were injured. Investigators also spoke to several witnesses at the scene.
The incident remains under investigation.
Sutter, who was initially booked into the Mercer County Detention Facility, is free on bond pending a 9 a.m. appearance Thursday in Celina Municipal Court.
Each of the misdemeanor charges carries the possibility of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine upon conviction.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Minster eyes land trade for industrial park
• Officials still seek cemetery vandals
• Intersections closed for final detail work
• Construction projects under way
• Tumbusch Construction bids lowest on roadwork
• Pullet farm seeks permit renewal
• Celina man charged with assault
• Township, county roads to be resurfaced
• Bulldogs back on track after late slump
• Wildcats beat Roughriders for the first time in four tries
Saturday, August 1
Saturday, August 1
Sunday, July 26