Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 Edition of The Daily Standard
Online Local News Stories
ST. HENRY - The church, school and sports programs found in this small Mercer County village have earned it fourth place in a national ranking for the best places to raise kids. The 2012 Best Places to Raise Your Kids was relea . . .
CELINA - A local resident can share the story of his great-grandfather, a Civil War veteran, with future generations thanks to research done by a Celina High School student. Sophomore Isaac Elston chose to research Civil War ve . . .
Area farmer Ray Sudhoff received an unexpected pre-Thanksgiving surprise. "I heard this loud noise like a bunch of empty hopper wagons rumbling down the road," he said. "I never expected to discover a big rig had driven through . . .
Print Edition Only News Stories
• State rep floats idea of centralized tax collection
• St. Marys council reviews finances
• Village workers net 2 percent raise
• Employees likely to gain 50-cent pay increase
• Bruns ready for state after injury kept him out of 2010 title game
• St. Henry's Kleinhenz likes the size of Owens
• Celina out to knock Shawnee off top of WBL
• Veterans will have to lead the way for Coldwater
• Indians are excited for the upcoming season
• Smith stressing work ethic with the Flyers
• Dalrymple optimistic despite low numbers
• Ritter optimistic about Cardinals
• Wenning takes over Roughriders' program
• Hucke has a large roster in first year as coach
• Cavs should be solid once full team is assembled
• Youngsters will play key role for St. Marys
• Celina hoping to rebound from early forfeits
• Continued success expected for Coldwater
• Indians aim for steady improvement
• Marion Local's bowlers face many hurdles
• Wildcats focused on steady improvement
• Trego adapting quickly to coaching Cardinals
• Parkway hopes to be a sleeper in the WOHSBC
• Redskins setting high goals for the season
• St. Marys has high expectations for this year
Joy J. Linton, 92, Celina, died at 9:40 p.m. Nov. 26, 2011, at Joint Township Memorial Hospital, St. Marys. She was born Oct. 12, 1919, in Van Wert County to Olen W. and Laura Wheeler Chivington. On March 15, 1941, she married . . .
John Wermert, 93, of St. Sebastian, died Nov. 29, 2011, at the Gardens at St. Henry. Funeral Mass is 10 a.m. Friday at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Coldwater. Calling is 2-8 p.m. Thursday and 8:30-9:30 a.m. Friday at Hogen . . .
Lorraine Anne Becker Goodwin, 73, Celina, died at 1:30 p.m. Nov. 26, 2011, at St. Rita's Medical Center, Lima. She was born May 17, 1938, in St. Marys, to Harold Temple and Betty J. Koehn Temple Horton. On Nov. 10, 1961, she ma . . .
Mary Alice Longemeyer, 88, St. Marys, died at 1 a.m. Nov. 26, 2011, at Celina Manor Nursing Home. She was born Dec. 28, 1922, in St. Marys, to Daniel and Alice Spicer Hay. On Jan. 19, 1941, she married Richard Longemeyer, who d . . .
Patricia E. Maharg VanLeuven, 58, Auburn, Ind., died Nov. 26, 2011, at St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis. She was born Sept. 22, 1953, in Newark, to Donald and Virginia Maharg, Celina, who survive. She married Paul VanLeuven, . . .
Frank A. Axe, 86, St. Marys, died Nov. 27, 2011, at Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices, St. Marys. He was born Sept. 25, 1925, in St. Marys, to Frank W. and Beatrice Kenefake Axe. On Nov. 25, 1948, he married Pauline J. Muhlenk . . .
Former St. Henry resident Adlyn Sciole died Nov. 26, 2011, at Visiting Nurse and Hospice Home, Fort Wayne, Ind. She married Matt Sciole, who survives. Also surviving are sons, John (Jill) Sciole and Joe (Maria) Sciole, all of . . .
Mostly cloudy, rain, thunder
Mostly cloudy, rain, thunder