Wednesday, August 15th, 2007
By Margie Wuebker
Teen accused of extensively damaging Celina High School
A Celina man faces felony charges after he allegedly vandalized two locations, including Celina High School, early Sunday morning.
Joseph Gardner, 18, 751 Deford St., Lot 21, has been charged with breaking and entering, a fifth-degree felony, and two misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief.
Celina Police Chief Dave Slusser said police responded to the scene after someone reported suspicious activity at the school.
Gardner allegedly targeted recently installed entrance doors at the south end of the building. He also damaged several front windows as well as a sign near the driveway.
"He jerked on the doors with such force the frame buckled," Slusser told The Daily Standard. "And he apparently did the same with the windows."
There was no interior damage, leading authorities to believe his efforts to gain entry were unsuccessful.
Damage figures were not available and attempts to reach Superintendent Matt Miller were unsuccessful as he was meeting with principals throughout the morning.
Police also linked Gardner to vandalism at Asset Allocation, 720 E. Wayne St., during the course of their investigation. He allegedly damaged a newspaper box there.
Gardner remains incarcerated at the Mercer County Jail on a $75,000 bond pending a preliminary hearing in Celina Municipal Court. The case is expected to go to the grand jury when it convenes later this week.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• St. Marys school district voters to decide on 6.9-mill levy
• City moves toward part ownership in power plant
• Seek sewage permits well in advance of building new home
• Majority of Parkway Local residents favor naming facilities
• Health officials promoting breast-feeding for healthier infants
• Coldwater students place above state and national level for ACT scores
• Engineering studies approved for five projects
• Celina man is sentenced
• Auglaize MR/DD receives accreditation to provide services
• Celina Pizza Hut gets new look
• Balance leads Cavs to county golf title
Saturday, August 1
Saturday, August 1
Sunday, July 26