Thursday, October 25th, 2007
By Shelley Grieshop
Area man dies in accident
A 42-year-old St. Marys man died Wednesday evening after being struck by a semitrailer while running across U.S. 33, just west of St. Marys.
Robert Scott Schmitt, 625 E. Spring St., was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident at 4:20 p.m. along the four-lane highway.
The driver of the fuel truck, Bradford Thompson, 49, of Marion, Ind., was treated then released from Joint Township District Memorial Hospital, St. Marys. He reportedly suffered no physical injuries but was treated for mental distress.
The report from the Wapakoneta post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol said Schmitt was standing in front of a Chevrolet Blazer that was stopped on the berm of U.S. 33 for an unknown reason. He reportedly ran south across the highway and was struck by the westbound semitrailer, which was traveling in the left lane.
Troopers said they don't yet know why Schmitt ran in front of the semi to his death. The state patrol continues to investigate the accident and have released no other details.
Schmitt was the son of Paul and Sharon Schmitt of the Montezuma area. His wife, Veronica, also survives. Funeral arrangements are pending with Miller Funeral Home, St. Marys.
Schmitt's death marks the fourth traffic fatality this year in Auglaize County.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Area author on track with latest book
• Incumbent, write-in seek top city position
• Appointed candidate, independent battle
• Big band puts on note-able show
• Arraignment continued for local businesswoman because of health issue
• Emergency room to double in size
• Some Coldwater school board members want more input
• Another lop-sided win for the Roughrider girls
• St. Henry vs. Fort Recovery
• Coldwater vs. St. John's
• New Bremen vs. Marion
• Minster vs. Anna
• Defiance vs. Celina
• Elida vs. St. Marys
• Panthers need win for playoff chance
Monday, October 20
Monday, October 20
Saturday, October 18