Support These Participating Shop Small Business Saturday Merchants
Thursday, August 14th, 2008
By Shelley Grieshop
Father dies in backyard pond
A 44-year-old Cridersville man died Tuesday evening and his 3-year-old son was injured after the canoe they and another child were riding in tipped over in a pond at the family's home.
Christopher S. Spicer, 44, of Wapak-Cridersville Road, and the 3-year-old were dragged from the water by the man's wife who called 911 at 6:43 p.m. She reportedly was summoned to the pond by the couple's 6-year-old son who managed to swim to shore, according to the Auglaize County Sheriff's Office.
Christopher Spicer was unconscious when rescuers arrived and died a short time later at a Lima-area hospital. No condition was available for the 3-year-old, however, officials say he is recovering.
Authorities believe the father may have drowned but are looking into possible medical reasons. An autopsy was ordered. The sheriff's office does not suspect drugs, alcohol or foul play.
The family's pond is estimated to be 15 feet deep.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Voters may see height variance issue on ballot
• BOE decides now is best time to purchase new bus
• Home games to be moved to high school
• Board tours school for project options
• Sheriff continues investigation in suspicious death
• Minster boys golf wins county match at Arrowhead
• Sheer Sahbra wins Grand Lake Pace