Thursday Night
54°
Mostly Cloudy
33%
Friday
75°
Mostly Cloudy
17%
Friday Night
61°
Chance Thunderstorms
40%
Saturday
76°
Mostly Cloudy
11%
Saturday Night
60°
Chance Thunderstorms
48%
Sunday
77°
Chance Thunderstorms
53%
°
°
°
°
°
3 Day
Extended
Wednesday, August 27th, 2008

Campground explosion ruled accidental

Grandmother listed in critical condition

By Shelley Grieshop
An explosion at Lake Loramie State Park that left four people injured nearly two weeks ago has been ruled accidental.
The State Fire Marshal's Office announced Tuesday that the explosion on Aug. 15 at the campground was due to a liquid propane leak in the 15-foot camper. The leak in the fuel delivery system reportedly filled the living room area with fuel and ignited after coming into contact with the stove's burner, according to Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the fire marshal's office.
"No one will be charged in this incident," Cartmill said.
Karen Blocher, 53, of Bradford, who was making breakfast for the family about 7:50 a.m. when the explosion occurred, remains in critical condition at Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton. Her husband, Steve, 51, who also was inside the camper, is in fair condition at the hospital.
The couple's 3-month-old grandson, Jordan Flora, also was inside the 1960s model camper with his grandparents when the explosion occurred. He was dismissed last week from Children's Medical Center, Dayton.
The baby's father, Ryan Flora, 30, of Arcanum, received minor injuries while trying to rescue his son and in-laws and was treated then released from a Sidney hospital. His wife, Cheryl Flora, was taking a shower at a facility in the campground when the accident occurred. She was not injured.
Officials said the explosion along state Route 362 near Fort Loramie was so loud that it shook neighboring campers. Witnesses told investigators the Blochers and the infant were covered in flames as they attempted to exit the camper, which was destroyed in the fire.
Additional online stories on this date
Terry Huston remembers days when his only exercise involved getting out of bed and heading to the bathroom or the kitchen table. At 474 pounds, the effort left him totally exhausted and in need of oxygen assistance. [More]
The schedule shows that Tuesday was the season opener for the Celina volleyball team, but it sure didn't look like it.
Celina appears to be in midseason form after sweeping St. Henry, 25-22, 25-20 and 26-24. [More]
Subscriber only stories on this date
School officials blame skateboarders for damage
County renews loan for ditch projects
Unique pipe replacement project to begin
Celina to apply again for funds
New Bremen council discusses change orders in street projects
Ohio City man dies in house fire
Kick off slated for annual Celina Combined Drive
St. Henry fights wind for victory in trimatch
Bulldogs lose first match of the season to Lehman