Wednesday, August 27th, 2008
Campground explosion ruled accidental
Grandmother listed in critical condition
By Shelley Grieshop
An explosion at Lake Loramie State Park that left four people injured nearly two weeks ago has been ruled accidental.
The State Fire Marshal's Office announced Tuesday that the explosion on Aug. 15 at the campground was due to a liquid propane leak in the 15-foot camper. The leak in the fuel delivery system reportedly filled the living room area with fuel and ignited after coming into contact with the stove's burner, according to Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the fire marshal's office.
"No one will be charged in this incident," Cartmill said.
Karen Blocher, 53, of Bradford, who was making breakfast for the family about 7:50 a.m. when the explosion occurred, remains in critical condition at Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton. Her husband, Steve, 51, who also was inside the camper, is in fair condition at the hospital.
The couple's 3-month-old grandson, Jordan Flora, also was inside the 1960s model camper with his grandparents when the explosion occurred. He was dismissed last week from Children's Medical Center, Dayton.
The baby's father, Ryan Flora, 30, of Arcanum, received minor injuries while trying to rescue his son and in-laws and was treated then released from a Sidney hospital. His wife, Cheryl Flora, was taking a shower at a facility in the campground when the accident occurred. She was not injured.
Officials said the explosion along state Route 362 near Fort Loramie was so loud that it shook neighboring campers. Witnesses told investigators the Blochers and the infant were covered in flames as they attempted to exit the camper, which was destroyed in the fire.