Wednesday, May 19th, 2010
By Margie Wuebker
Family escapes burning duplex in Montezuma
MONTEZUMA - The shrill warning of a smoke detector has been credited with giving an area family time to escape their burning duplex Tuesday morning.
Firefighters from Montezuma and Coldwater responded to the home of Travis and Kristy Williams, 6657 Brookside Drive, in response to a 911 call placed at 10:33 a.m.
The blaze began in a utility room spreading smoke throughout the home. Awakened by the smoke detector, Travis Williams immediately got up and took two young children outside. He then came back into the house for his wife who was reportedly showering and unaware of the fire.
Montezuma Assistant Fire Chief Doug Forsthoefel said the fire was contained to the utility room, although the rest of the home sustained smoke and fire damage. The cause has been listed as accidental due to combustible material placed too close to a heat source.
People residing in the other half of the duplex owned by Joe Bender also left the building as a precaution. However, the unit sustained no damage.
Five trucks and 20 to 25 firefighters remained on the scene for about 21/2 hours, according to Forsthoefel.
The Mercer County chapter of the American Red Cross was called to assist the family.
Forsthoefel did not know about insurance coverage. No dollar loss has been set but he indicated there appeared to be no structural damage.
Additional online stories for this date
Print and E-Edition only stories for this date
• BOE taking applications for director
• Mercer County plans nearly $2 million in road paving
• Graduation set for Sunday
• St. Marys drug bust brings four arrests
• Grant awarded to Rockford for street reconstruction
• Local farmers can join ag-issue tour
• School board to consider levy
• Two youngsters will face arson charges
• New St. Henry salon offers many services
• Goodwin will continue to run at Kent State
• St. Marys' Thornsberry, Ferrall voted to first team
• Celina's Waterman repeats as all-league performer