Support These Participating Shop Small Business Saturday Merchants
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011
By Shelley Grieshop
Stabbing was self-inflicted
ST. MARYS - The death of a 40-year-old man found stabbed in the middle of a street has been ruled a suicide.
Auglaize County Coroner Dr. Thomas Freytag said David A. Spaulding died April 26 from a self-inflicted knife wound to his chest. A neighbor who was arriving home about 11 p.m. discovered the body in the middle of Lynn Street near Spaulding's home about 11 p.m. and called police.
Spaulding was transported to Joint Township District Memorial Hospital, St. Marys, where he was pronounced dead about 30 minutes later.
The death was initially considered suspicious and an autopsy was conducted in Toledo to rule out foul play, officials said.
St. Marys police also investigated the incident including a search of Spaulding's home. The Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation was called to assist.
Spaulding, a St. Marys native, was a bricklayer for the Superior Forge and Steel Company of Lima.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Businesses buoyed by attempts for solution
• New Bremen bans use, sale of new drug hazard
• Ongoing work paves way for July 1 opening
• Food poisoning is no picnic
• Parkway hires new English teacher
• Minster council reaffirms old ordinance
• Work moves ahead on street reconstruction
• Man arrested on local outstanding warrant
• State looks to small business for more taxes
• Forsthoefel drives home game-winner for Cavs
• Ohio Fury earn a berth into softball World Series