Thursday, December 22nd, 2011
By Margie Wuebker
Meat thieves sentenced locally
Pair formerly worked at meat market in Fort Recovery
Two Indiana residents appeared recently in Mercer County Common Pleas Court for sentencing on charges stemming from the theft of meat from customers of a Fort Recovery business.
Darren M. Sain, 50, and Ladonna L. Williams, 52, both of Portland, each pleaded no contest to an amended charge of theft, a first-degree misdemeanor. The original charge was a more serious fifth-degree felony.
As part of a negotiated agreement, Judge Jeffrey Ingraham dismissed another count of engaging in corrupt activity, a second-degree felony, in each case.
Ingraham sentenced both people - who formerly managed Vonderhaar Meat Market in Fort Recovery - to 90 days in jail. He then suspended the jail time on the condition the defendants commit no crimes during the coming year.
He also ordered them to pay $6,965.26 in restitution to 42 people identified as victims. The amounts ranged from $64.69 to $337.97. Half of the amount was paid the day of sentencing with the remainder due March 1.
The offenses stem from the couple's activities between June 2008 and February 2009. John Bihn, who owned the business, contacted the Mercer County Sheriff's Office after receiving complaints from customers.
More than 75 customers reported meat shortages ranging from 20 pounds to several hundred pounds after they had brought animals to Vonderhaar's for slaughter and processing. Some of the victims claimed the meat they received had an odd taste and/or smell.
Additional online stories for this date
Print and E-Edition only stories for this date
• Family heals through giving
• Costly fix for leaky city tower
• St. Marys names interim director
• Troopers beefing up patrol
• Rockford official urges land buy for future development
• Bank OKs buying city notes to finance lake walkway debt
• Celina drops priciest insurance plan
• Commissioners move to reduce personnel's travel expenses
• Arts Place holding grand opening at new location
• Asset Allocation Associates Holiday Basketball Tournament
Tuesday, February 21
Monday, February 20
Saturday, February 18
Friday, February 17