Support These Participating Shop Small Business Saturday Merchants
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012
By Christine Henderson
County still number 1
Mercer County for the sixth consecutive month has the lowest unemployment rate in the state.
The continually declining unemployment rate is due to existing businesses expanding, often adding a few employees at a time, Mercer County Community Development Director Jared Ebbing said.
Several medium-size businesses in villages are expanding.
"The small-to-medium size business are our bread and butter, and it adds up when many add employees," he said.
"Hitting a single over and over scores as many runs as hitting it over the fence a few times," was Ebbing's analogy.
The Mercer County rate was 4.5 percent in April, down 0.4 percent from March, according to figures released today by the the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.
Auglaize County was seventh lowest for its unemployment rate of 5.9 percent in April, down 0.5 percent from 6.4 in March.
Darke County dropped from 8 percent in March to 7.1 percent in April, and Van Wert County reduced unemployment to 7.3 percent in April from 7.9 in March.
Ohio's average rate in April was 7.4 percent; the national rate was 8.1 percent.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Governor Kasich pushes for a better Ohio
• Finger-licking good time had by all
• Board rejects principal's wish to retire-rehire
• New AD may coach one year
• School may develop outdoor classroom
• Graduation set for Sunday for Fort Recovery seniors
• American Legion votes against lease to marina
• Huelsman to coach Redskins' girls team
• Wildcats ready to make regional debut
• Lakers' baseball team lands a pair of Coldwater commitments
• St. Henry to party on its 175th birthday
• Grand Lake area offers recreational opportunities
• Sprints, mods, stocks at Eldora
• Tradition planted in strawberry festival
• Picnic features games, music
• Mendon festival to include inflatables
• Festival goers may win prizes
• Contests, food and rides on agenda
• New features added to Chickasaw picnic
• Zuma Days offers free train rides
• Community Days adds new attractions
• Maria Stein Country Fest marks twenty-fifth anniversary
• Regional bands kicks off Freedom Days
• Village picnic features favorites
• Taste of Celina returns
• Car to be raffled at IC Picnic
• Old-time Chatt picnic set in July
• Lake Festival keeping with tradition
• Burkettsville Community Picnic plans food, games
• Golf courses
• Tractor pull set for two nights
• Popular events return to Fireman's Picnic
• Auglaize County Fair offering daily deals at the gate
• U.S. 127 garage sale
• Pageant kicks off Summerfest
• Community picnic raises funds for park
• Sites to visit
• British music, rodeo add to Mercer fair
• Variety of lodgings welcome visitors to area
• Coldwater softball tournament will raise money for MDA
• Mariners games set for summer
• Bremenfest to bring new ride company, animals
• Regatta to bring boats to lake
• Bean Bake to feature re-enactors
• Pumpkins will fly high
• St. Joe Homecoming to include Mass, music, food, games
• Minster to celebrate German heritage with food, music, fun