Saturday, June 23rd, 2012
Photo by Ryan Snyder/The Daily Standard
Firefighters on Friday afternoon are lifted to a smouldering fire inside the east tower of pet food manufacturer Pro-Pet, 1400 McKinley Road, St. Marys. St. Marys Fire Capt. Wayne Sweigart said it appeared a pellet grinder that was processing sweet potatoes - a high-sugar content ingredient - heated up too fast and caught fire. About 50 firefighters from St. Marys City, St. Marys Township, New Knoxville, Buckland and Celina departments responded to the 2:27 p.m. call and remained on the scene until nearly 6 p.m. No injuries were reported. Employees exited the building before firefighters arrived. Sweigart said the Auglaize County chapter of the American Red Cross and Kroger's provided refreshments to keep the firefighters from dehydrating. A more extensive fire in the company's west storage tower on June 4 caused an estimated $250,000 damage, he said.
Additional pictures on this date
Copyright © 2018 Standard Printing Co. All Rights Reserved