Wednesday, October 17th, 2012
By Eric Adams
Rockford enters flat-rate electric agreement
ROCKFORD - Residents could save on electric costs through a new locked-in rate accepted by the village council on Tuesday.
Council members unanimously approved participating in Dayton-based DP&L Energy's new Affinity flat-rate program. Village administrator Jeff Long said the rate would save the village $1,350 per month.
The village will pay 5.9 cents per kilowatt hour across the board, netting huge savings for larger facilities such as the ball diamond, which currently costs 18.9 cents per kilowatt hour.
"They can offer lower rates - simple as that," Long said.
Residents also can get the locked-in rate. Those currently receiving power through DP&L would experience the savings immediately, Long said. Others would need to switch providers to get the rate.
Also approved unanimously was a continuation of the village's revitalization program. The latest project was surface repairs to a home on Columbia Street.
Councilman Steve Gehle commented the village should raise awareness of the program to potentially garner more volunteers.
A new tree planting project for the village also was discussed, as roughly 70 percent of trees from the previous effort were pulled due to improper planting and an incredibly dry summer.
"We need dirt - bad," councilman Gene Steiner said.
Council plans to give first reading of the 2013 proposed budget, which they called the best since 2009, at the Nov. 6 meeting at the village hall.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Commissioners expect coverage for grandstand fix
• School fiscal officer hired
• Commissioners OK distribution center grant
• Names of crash victims released
• Troopers seize cookies, lollipops laced with pot
• Fort schools treasurer predicts deficit
• Women's club marks 100 years
• Trial delayed in Minster arson case due to attorney change
• New Bremen utility bills going up
• Day care opens near school
• Cardinals, Cavs win tourney openers
• Roughriders knocked out of volleyball postseason
Saturday, August 1
Saturday, August 1
Sunday, July 26