Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014
By Shelley Grieshop
St. Marys man gets 28-year sentence on sex charges involving children
ST. MARYS - A 62-year-old St. Marys man on Monday was sentenced to more than 28 years in prison after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting children.
Roger Bonifas was ordered to serve 338 months - 28 years and two months - in prison during a hearing in Auglaize County Common Pleas Court. He also was labeled a Tier II sex offender, which means he must register his address with local law enforcement every 90 days for the rest of his life.
Bonifas at Monday's hearing pleaded guilty to five counts of gross sexual imposition, third-degree felonies; three counts of gross sexual imposition, fourth-degree felonies; and an amended count of attempted gross sexual imposition, also a fourth-degree felony, following a plea agreement with the prosecutor.
Ball was indicted earlier this year by an Auglaize County grand jury for six counts each of rape and gross sexual imposition and placed on a $1 million bond. He pleaded not guilty to the charges in February.
A three-day jury trial set to begin Monday was vacated.
Bonifas was arrested Jan. 31 after St. Marys Police learned about the allegations that reportedly had taken place since at least September. Police have said they continue to look into the possibility of more victims.
Bonifas initially was charged with three counts of rape in an Auglaize County Municipal Court case. Those charges were dismissed after the grand jury handed down the multiple indictment charges in January.
Additional online stories for this date
Print and E-Edition only stories for this date
• Area projects remain in state budget
• Outside trash tops Minster meeting
• Rockford business to expand into restaurant
• Wining About Winter event hailed as success
• Townships reducing plans for summer paving work
• Teen's bond set at $500K in home invasion
• Leugers Insurance marks 100 years
• Boley brings cardiac practice to his hometown
• Flyers get past the Bulldogs
• Panthers open track season with victory
• Panthers get bats out against 'Riders
Thursday, March 23
Wednesday, March 22
Saturday, March 18
Wednesday, March 15
Saturday, February 4