Wednesday, June 10th, 2009
By Shelley Grieshop
32 campsites to be added at fairgrounds
Local officials are trying to fill a need and increase revenue by creating more camp sites at the Mercer County Fairgrounds during fair week.
Thirty-two additional camp sites will be added to the west of the cattle barns to help eliminate a current waiting list, said Steve Schulte, manager at the fairgrounds.
Mercer County commissioners on Tuesday approved a contract bid from Mesco Electrical Supply of New Bremen for electrical materials for the additional sites.
Schultze said the project will help the fairgrounds bring in more revenue and eliminate the ongoing waiting list for campers looking for a spot to call home during fair week. Many families reside on the grounds throughout the week-long fair while exhibiting livestock or 4-H projects.
"It is a win-win situation for all parties and remains within our focus of offering family enjoyment all year," he said.
Schultze said the fairgrounds currently have approximately 150 camp sites available during fair week - some with electric and others a bit more primitive. A dump site and available water is located nearby. Rates vary.
The fairgrounds also has become a popular destination for campers from April through October. New and remodeled bathroom facilities has helped draw campers, particularly when local festivals or other events are scheduled on the grounds or in nearby communities, officials say.
Additional online stories for this date
Print and E-Edition only stories for this date
• Suits against Coldwater school board dismissed
• Superintendent will leave for new job
• Canoe trip raises awareness
• Celina gives Reynolds and Reynolds a small strip of land already used by company
• State lawmakers can't make up their minds on health regulations
• Employees want info on retire/rehire
• Coldwater BOE hears about techniques learned at workshop
• TV broadcasts switching to digital on Friday
• Local skateboarding group needs to raise $20,000
• Road salt supplier is chosen
• St. Henry slips past Celina in 10th inning
• New restaurant owners feature home cooking
• St. Marys drive-through moves to larger site
• Celina business one of few selected for Guard award
Tuesday, February 21
Monday, February 20
Saturday, February 18
Friday, February 17