Tuesday, June 16th, 2009
By Margie Wuebker
Public invited to attend Minster's Day at the Park
MINSTER - Local organizations are combining efforts to sponsor a Day at the Park event from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Saturday at Four Seasons Park and Paris Street Park. Activities will include basketball and fishing tournaments, clowns, safety demonstrations, a DJ, concessions and more.
Years ago before the advent of the Oktoberfest, the Minster Jaycees sponsored an annual Father's Day picnic at the park. There had been talk of resurrecting the event, according to Paul Enneking, vice president of the Journeyman's Club, one of the organizers. Others helping with the day are the Venture Crew, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and village of Minster.
"The date we chose fell right in line with Father's Day weekend," Enneking said. "What started out to be a small event evolved into a full day of activities."
Concession stands will be open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. with the beer stand opening at 2 p.m. and closing at 9 p.m. Other features throughout the day will include inflatable playground toys, a bicycle rodeo presented by Minster Police to demonstrate safety rules, fire safety demonstrations and carnival games and face painting by the Girl Scouts.
"We are really excited about the day," Enneking said. "I think it could really turn into a good event that is geared primarily toward children. We are definitely sympathetic to the current economic constraints that families are feeling, so we're trying to provide a nice day of fun for very little money."
The schedule follows:
Four Seasons Park
• 8:30 a.m. - Registration for fishing tournament
• 9-11 a.m. - Fishing tournament at the pond
Paris Street Park
Paris Street Park
• 8 a.m.-4 p.m. - 3-on-3 basketball tournament for boys and girls ages 15-18
• 11 a.m.-9 p.m. - Children's playground toys
• 11 a.m.-2 p.m. - Clown entertainment
• 1-2 p.m. - Bicycle safety exhibition
• 1-2 p.m. - Fire safety demonstration
• 2:30-9 p.m. - Co-ed adult dodgeball tournament
• 6:30-11 p.m. - Disc jockey Terry Prenger
• 11:30 p.m. - Park closes
Anyone having questions or needing information regarding registration for various events should call 419-628-8227 or e-mail Minsterjc@Gmail.com.
Additional online stories for this date
Print edition only stories for this date
• Man bicycling for Special Olympics
• Pollution law with steeper fines considered
• Salary freeze is possible for next year
• Man pleads not guilty to vehicular homicide
• Groups receive book donations from Rotary Literacy program
• Nominations sought for county committee FSA elections
• Grand Lake wins third in a row
• Six-run inning propels Bulldogs
• Flyers roll over the Tribe in five innings