Thursday, April 15th, 2010 Edition of The Daily Standard
Online Local News Stories
NEW WESTON - Authorities believe it was a 78-year-old St. Henry man who perished in a cornfield fire in northern Darke County on Tuesday afternoon. The victim found by firefighters was tentatively identified as Cletus W. Schmit . . .
Jeff Babcock, of Wayne, Ohio, grew up watching his dad, Jeff Sr., wheel stock cars around western Ohio, and like most kids, wanted to follow in his father's footsteps. It may not have gotten off to a great start, but Babcock ha . . .
Print Edition Only News Stories
• Founder of civic foundation tells of $5.5 million for community projects
• New contracts OK'd for administrators
• Village council reviews tree planting policy
• Rotary club learns past, present operations at Eldora Speedway
• Faulty wiring probable cause of deadly fire in Wapakoneta
• Albers chooses Xavier to continue running career
• Hogenkamp will hit the links at Wittenberg
• Revisiting Parkway's journey to state in 1998
Former New Weston resident Cletus W. Schmitz, 78, 401 Lewis Ave., St. Henry, died April 13, 2010, in a fire at his farm in rural New Weston. He was born Aug. 29, 1931, in North Orben, to George and Blanche Fisher Schmitz. On Oc . . .
Lloyd M. Tester, 88, 541 Lisle St., Celina, died at 1:38 p.m. April 14, 2010, at Joint Township District Memorial Hospital in St. Marys. He was born Oct. 24, 1921, in Celina, to Charles and Hattie Custer Tester. On March 28, 19 . . .
C. Blanche Phillips, 93, 1121 E. Central Ave., Van Wert, died at 12:45 a.m. April 14, 2010, at CHP Inpatient Hospice Center in Van Wert. She was born Feb. 19, 1917, in Ohio City, to Halder B. and Roxie M. Clouse Woods. She was . . .