Saturday, September 10th, 2011 Edition of The Daily Standard
Online Local News Stories
CELINA - The bright lights of New York City captivated Jerry Winhoven a decade ago. Today, the glitter of the city reminds him of the tragedy he somehow survived and what truly matters in life. Winhoven, a Celina resident, wa . . .
"On the morning of the 11th, I was at my desk when I heard an office mate hang up from a phone call and yell 'My God, we've got to get out of here. They've hit the Pentagon and the Washington Monument." - Tom Montgomery, a Celina . . .
ROCKFORD - The St. Henry Redskins rebounded from a pair of tough losses to open the season by defeating the Parkway Panther 42-13 in the Midwest Athletic Conference opener for both teams on Friday night at Panther Stadium. "Get . . .
Print and E-Edition Only News Stories
• Survivor heals through his art
• Local man marvels at ground zero transformation
• 9/11 dominates local classrooms
• Health department hit with big bill
• Celina steamrolled in second half
• Cavs' defense blanks Rockets
• Flyers too physical for Cardinals
• Versailles rallies in second half
• McAdams to Etzler too much for 'Riders
• Bloomquist sets record at Eldora
• St. Henry's girls coast to win over Parkway
Gail L. Becker, 89, rural Spencerville, died 6:20 p.m. Sept. 8, 2011, at her daughter's home in Elida. She was born Jan. 30, 1922, in St. Marys to Harry and Lulu Seewer Whetstone. On Jan. 13, 1941, she married Owen O. Becker, w . . .
Mary H. Helmstetter, 87, St. Marys, died at 9 p.m. Sept. 8, 2011, at Joint Township District Memorial Hospital in St. Marys. She was born July 5, 1924, in St. Marys to August and Helen Werts Wieser. On Aug. 9, 1947, she married . . .