a_d
Friday, June 29th, 2012
By William Kincaid
Cigarette likely cause of fire at Westlake Village
  CELINA - A discarded cigarette likely started a fire that caused extensive damage to a Westlake Village condominium complex on June 21.
"We think it was a cigarette butt on the second floor balcony," Celina Fire Department Chief Doug Wolters said this morning. "It was definitely accidental."
He estimated damage at $1.1 million. Some condominium owners' insurance companies hired private investigators, and their investigations are almost finished, Wolters said. He declined to elaborate further on the fire.
The State Fire Marshal's Office also has completed its investigation and concurred with the local fire department's assessment.
The largest portion of damage was sustained to the middle unit of three adjoining buildings along West Bank Road. Flames were shooting through the roof of the three-story structure when firefighters arrived at 4:15 p.m. No injuries were reported. More than two dozen occupants were in the building when the fire broke out, officials said.
Several area fire departments helped fight the blaze.
The building, owned by Westlake Development, is facing foreclosure after court action was filed by Citizens National Bank of Bluffton in November.
Additional online stories for this date
Print and E-Edition only stories for this date
• Community tries to fill job needs
• Auglaize tax revenue up, state funding down
• Romers seek loan to buy villas
• Director departing for new assignment
• Coldwater and Celina earn wins
• Fleagle posts time of 51.47 in 100 freestyle
a_d
Sunday Night
50°
Slight Chance Rain Showers
71%
Monday
66°
Chance Thunderstorms
54%
Monday Night
51°
Thunderstorms
84%
Tuesday
59°
Chance Thunderstorms
30%
Tuesday Night
37°
Mostly Cloudy
9%
Wednesday
53°
Partly Sunny
11%
Wednesday Night
37°
Mostly Cloudy
14%
Thursday
55°
Rain Showers Likely
60%
Thursday Night
48°
Thunderstorms Likely
62%
Friday
62°
Rain Showers
81%
Friday Night
43°
Rain Showers Likely
59%
3 Day
Extended
a_d
a_d