Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013
Fort Recovery resident pulled from burning home
By Margie Wuebker
FORT RECOVERY - A 60-year-old man remains under treatment in the burn center at a Dayton hospital following a Sunday afternoon fire at his home.
Jack Timmerman, 304 N. First St., Fort Recovery, was taken by ambulance to Mercer County Community Hospital in Coldwater and later transferred by emergency medical helicopter to Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton. His condition remained unlisted this morning, according to a hospital spokeswoman.
Southwest Mercer firefighters responded to the Timmerman home shortly before 1 p.m. after a concerned neighbor reported smoke in the area. Firefighters entering through a south door found Timmerman unconscious on the floor just inside and pulled him to safety.
"We did not know there was anyone inside the house," fire chief Kim Day said. "I called for a squad and two firefighters remained with him until the ambulance arrived."
Re-entering the home through the south door, firefighters battled flames in the adjacent kitchen with the heaviest damage reported along one side containing a range. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen, but heat and smoke damage was sustained throughout the home, the chief said.
Officials are trying to pinpoint the cause of the blaze, however Day said that might be difficult due to the degree of damage. No dollar loss was established.
Neighbors reportedly told firefighters that Timmerman, who lived alone, had a cat and a dog but the pets were not found.
Trucks and emergency personnel were on the scene for approximately two hours. A Mercer County sheriff's deputy also assisted at the scene.
"I just can't say enough about my firefighters and the rescue squad personnel," Day said. "They all deserve kudos ... this could have turned out much different without them."